|This page documents an English Wikipedia behavioral guideline.|
|If you feel you may physically harm yourself or others:|
Click here for a list of support resources
If you see a threat of physical harm (including self-harm):
- 1. Treat all claims seriously
- 2. Contact the Wikimedia Foundation
- Immediately email
emergencywikimedia.orgwith details of the threat, or click here: Message the emergency team (only works with accounts with email enabled).
- These contact methods are for threats of physical harm (including self-harm) only. For other concerns, see Wikipedia:Contact us.
- Provide the exact name of the page where you saw the threat and the time that you saw it (including the URL to the page or a diff link with the edit is a better way).
- This address is monitored around the clock. Staff will typically acknowledge your email immediately (Check your junk folder).
- Do not email other Wikimedia Foundation addresses, or telephone the Wikimedia Foundation, as this creates confusion.
- Staff will take appropriate action, such as tracing locations and contacting authorities.
- Immediately email
- 3. Contact Wikipedia administrators privately
- Use email, IRC, Discord, or other low-visibility methods, not high-traffic noticeboards or popular talk pages.
- If in doubt, the primary method is to use IRC and join the #wikipedia-en-revdel connect channel. To do this quickly and using your browser, click here: Join IRC channel.
- If you need to find an administrator who's active on Wikipedia right now, you can use this tool to locate one.
- Even if you are an administrator, notify other administrators.
Advice for administrators
- Threats of suicide or other self-harm require discretion on the question of blocking but generally, specific threats should be removed (with a thoughtfully worded edit summary) and revision deleted, pending oversight.
- Threats against others should be met with blocking (generally including removal of talk page access) and possibly blocking email as well. Such threats should be blanked; consider applying revdel as well.
- Request oversight (suppression) of any post containing personal information.
- If in doubt, email the office at
emergency wikimedia.org; stay off high-traffic noticeboards.
- A behind the scenes look at the Wikimedia Foundation’s emergency response system, User:Mdennis (WMF), September 22, 2014
- Threats of harm - global guidance from Meta-wiki