John Robert Lewendon Maddicott, social history of England in the 13th and 14th centuries, and has also written a number of leading articles on the Anglo-Saxon economy, his second area of interest.(born 22 July 1943) is an English historian who has published works on the political and
John R. L. Maddicott
|Alma mater||Worcester College, Oxford|
Born in Exeter, Devon, he was educated at Worcester College, Oxford. He has written a biography of Thomas, 2nd Earl of Lancaster, and one on Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester. In Hilary term 2004, he delivered the Ford Lectures, the most prestigious history lectures in Oxford University, on the topic of the genesis of the English Parliament. He taught at the University of Manchester and was a fellow and tutor in history at Exeter College, Oxford, from 1969 until 2006. An elected Fellow of the British Academy (FBA), he was also joint editor of the English Historical Review from 1990 to 2000. In 2001 he delivered the British Academy's Raleigh Lecture on History.
- Thomas of Lancaster, 1307-22: A Study in the Reign of Edward II. (Oxford, 1970)
- "The English Peasantry and the Demands of the Crown, 1294-1341", Past and Present. Vol Supplement No. 1 (1975)
- "Trade, Industry and the Wealth of King Alfred", Past and Present. Vol 123 (1989) JSTOR 650989
- Simon de Montfort. (Cambridge, 1994); pbk reprint
- 'An Infinite Multitude of Nobles': Quality, Quantity and Politics in the Pre-Reform Parliaments of Henry III, in Thirteenth Century England, vii (1999), pp. 17–46
- "Power and prosperity in the Age of Bede and Beowulf", Proceedings of the British Academy. (2002)
- The Origins of the English Parliament, 924-1327. (Oxford, 2010)
- "Dr John Maddicott FBA". The British Academy. Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- MADDICOTT, Dr John Robert Lewendon, Who's Who 2014, A & C Black, 2014; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2014
- "Raleigh Lectures on History". The British Academy. text
- Myers, A. R. (April 1972). "Reviewed Work: Thomas of Lancaster, 1307–22 by J. R. Maddicott". The English Historical Review. 87 (343): 357–359. doi:10.1093/ehr/LXXXVII.CCCXLIII.357. JSTOR 563292.
- Waugh, Scott L. (2011). "Review of The Origins of the English Parliament, 924-1327, by J. R. Maddicott". The English Historical Review. CXXVI (520): 636–638. doi:10.1093/ehr/cer083. ISSN 0013-8266.